Finding a squirrel scurrying across your ceiling or hearing scratching sounds in the attic is alarming but fairly common. When squirrels access the interior of homes, they can cause damage with their gnawing and nesting behaviors. Getting professional squirrel removal services is the best way to humanely and effectively evict squirrels from your property.
Why Remove Squirrels?
Although they seem cute and harmless, a squirrel infestation in your home creates some problematic issues:
- Squirrels chew on wood and electrical wires, increasing fire risks and costing money in repairs.
- They make rustling noises that disrupt sleep and daily activities.
- Squirrels build nests with insulation they tear out, costing hundreds in replacement costs.
- Their droppings and urine create unsanitary conditions and unpleasant odors in attics.
- Diseases like salmonella and even the plague can be transmitted by squirrels and their fleas.
For your health, sanity, and home’s integrity, squirrels should be promptly evicted if they’ve made their way inside.
Signs of Squirrel Infestation
Watch for these clues that squirrels may have invaded your attic or other parts of the home:
- Noises like scratching, running, or gnawing coming from walls, ceiling, or attic. Especially active at dawn and dusk.
- Finding small holes they’ve chewed into the exterior or roof overhang.
- Pecans, acorns, or other nuts stored away in crawl spaces or attics.
- Damaged insulation with shredded piles indicating nesting areas.
- Strange odors coming from closed up squirrel urine and droppings.
Professional Squirrel Removal Process
When squirrel infestations are discovered, never try to trap or poison them yourself. This is illegal and risks further damage to your home. Instead, hire certified wildlife professionals to remove squirrels using proven methods that are safe for both your home and the squirrels.
The removal process involves:
- Inspecting the interior and exterior to locate all possible entry points being used.
- Installing one-way exclusion doors or tubes that allow squirrels to exit but not re-enter.
- Monitoring exclusion devices and repairing any damage once squirrels are evicted.
- Trapping and removing any baby squirrels to reunite them with parents.
- Cleaning attic with disinfectants to remove nests, urine, droppings, and fleas.
- Sealing off all possible exterior entry points with wire mesh, caulk, boards, or chimney caps to prevent recurrence.
With persistence and the right equipment, professional wildlife removal services can successfully rid your home of destructive squirrel infestations while keeping the squirrels intact. This eliminates the risks and nuisance of having squirrels in occupied living spaces.